Live and Learn

Friday, April 13, 2007

Time's Fun When You Are Having Flies -^.^-

How awfully busy I have been during this past week!! But I can honestly, and with a hand on my chest, that it's been one of the best weeks ever :)

You may wonder what happened... it's rather simple, really... I started university again. I shall better explain myself because you must all think I'm talking nonsense here...

I suppose it's the same everywhere, but over here going to university after you've finished highschool is a must, especially among medium class families ((the thing with most medium class families here is that the first generation were immigrants living in one room and jammed together with another 10 people, the second generation managed to get their own house and live in the suburbs, and now us, the third generation have the oportunity of going to university, so it's not like we have the choice of not going, we sort of owe it to our families)) and in my case, I always wanted to study something, to get a degree, but I never thought much of it, so when time for me to make my choice, I had no idea and since I had been studying English for so long, then I would follow something related to it.

Teaching had never been my thing, so the teacher training course was instantly ruled out. I always wanted to be a cook, but everyone regarded it as a "silly thing to study" and said that I could take a cooking course any other time, and silly little me did as she was told.

So I jumped to the next in my weird priority line thing: Translation.

When I started asking people ((and the translation departament at Law School)) they told me that I better got my degree in Public Translation ((here, we call that way to the law-related translation career)) because that way I would not only be able to translate novels, movies and work in magazines, but also I would be able to work with legal stuff... and off I went.

I did two years in there, until I made the decision of leaving the place not because I was lazy and didn't want to study anymore, but because I didn't like law and studying something one hates for 7 years is a bit silly... most of all when you have the chance of studying whatever it is that you want to study!

As with everything, it's always easier to judge when you are an outsider, so everybody started giving their pinions on how bad it was of me to drop university ((but they don't know of the 3 months of therapy I had to undergo in order to make that decision))

Luckily everything went as hoped and this year I sat for my entrance exam to study, again, translation, but a literature-related one... and it's great!!

I know it's only been a week, but so far so good^^

I had my first real phonology class today, and it was quite hard! We have to learn a whole new alphabet that's so weird! and the symbols sound so weird!! We are not allowed to speak with american accent, so we have to "fake" a british one... we all sound rather funny^^

I have to admit I felt very very silly today repeating the sound of vowels... hehehehehe you lot should have heard me! But I trust that by the end of this year I'll be able to speak with a real british accent and not a fake, strange thing^^

That aside, I have all kinds of assignments... translation out of the way, I have to read a few short stories and a book ((note to self: try to get Girl in Hyacinth Blue on ebbay since it's not available ANYWHERE)) , write compositions and a few articles, do lots of exercises on register transfer and study british history:S lovely weekend ahead, huh??

Anyway everybody, I hope you can all enjoy this few days^^




Song of the day: Today Has Been Ok by Emiliana Torrini

5 Comments:

  • At April 14, 2007 at 10:12 AM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Why is the accent so important? Here in Peru, there are 2 types of English schools, British and North American, but no one actually comes out of either school with an accent other than a Spanish one. The accent is unimportant

     
  • At April 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM, Blogger ckjolly said…

    sigh ... i wish my German was good enough to do what you are doing with English. my fiance would like for me to speak German with our children ... eep! what pressure! I can just imagine us having our own family dialect, same grammar errors and mispronunciations and everything! I guess it's an incentive to keep my language skills up.

     
  • At April 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM, Blogger khaled said…

    i hope u have nice life
    forgive me i dident understand all topics

     
  • At April 15, 2007 at 9:49 PM, Blogger Sweettooth said…

    it's a great read abt urself. keep on blogging ya.

     
  • At April 21, 2007 at 10:23 AM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    I love your template! Where did you get it? The only thing is that I can't read the light-colored type very well...but the template is gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home