Live and Learn

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Where Does the Good Go?

Are you aware of the entire magnitude of the internet? Do you realize how wonderful and how cruel it is at the same time? How freaky and twisty?

Thinking about my own personal case, and not very proudly, I can state that, easily, 70% of my friends live abroad and that I have only had phisical contact with two of them.

Even though it is true that the internet has broken the distance bareer ((online we all belong to the same place -geographical disposition is most irrelevant)) but... up to what extent can we say that that's a good thing? Is it indeed good mixing elements from both worlds? Where should we draw the line?

I've lost track of the times I've fallen for someone who was virtually there but phisically miles, even oceans, away. Not that I'm easy... just naive in some respects.

Some may argue and say it's the best kind of love, the purest, because you fall for what the person is on the inside, rather than just focusing on the outside on or how much they earn. But how can we know - for sure - that what we "are seeing" is, short and to the point, real?

We don't see a person. We only see what that person wants to show, what that person longs to be. With a little lie and some photoshop, you can have the image you've always wanted, so if we can't even trust in what our eyes see, what's left for us? How can we believe in what a person on the other side of the world is saying?

People talk about progress, benefits, unity... what kind of benefits could you list when all that's good in us, that makes us who we are, can be changed with one single button? What good is there in meeting someone you get along perfectly with, share everything with and are more than happy with, when there's an ocean between you two and an ocean of impossibilities to get together? Is it a sort of "showing us what we can't have" punishment for consantly defying nature?

As a citizen of the XXI Century, I stand up and cheer for these developments, and i repeat: but for the internet, I would have never met countless wonderful people, but I'm also aware of the fact that's it's driving millions to desperation and disbelief. I'm also aware, and every day a little bit more sure, of my rapid hope loss.

Will I ever find in real life what I have found in excess in virtual life?

Will I ever even click that well with someone?




Today's Pick: Catalyst by Anna Nalick

4 Comments:

  • At June 4, 2007 at 5:31 AM, Blogger Sweettooth said…

    lately I've known so may married couples who met thru the net and most of them got a good catch too heheeee....

     
  • At June 8, 2007 at 3:57 AM, Blogger khaled said…

    -------------------------------------

     
  • At June 9, 2007 at 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once again I've read all of your post :)
    And I totally understand. Not so long ago, almost my entire friends on MSN weren't even from Argentina and I barely knew 2 or 3 of them, from school or something. But that's changed and I love it.
    You'll find what you want, just be patient.
    And when are we gonna meet?? :P
    Thanks for the song, she has a nice voice.
    Au revoir mademoiselle.

     
  • At September 6, 2007 at 1:25 AM, Blogger Sweettooth said…

    hey, u quiet here...how're u? i can't leave msg at ur fotolog coz i'm not a member. no update?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home